Home of Stacia's Recipes
Houlihan's Baked Potato Soup
Serving Size : 8
pounds baking potatoes
1. Preheat oven to 400. Prick washed potatoes & bake until a fork pierces to the center easily.
2. Remove potatoes from oven & allow to fully cool. Remove skin & cut potatoes into 1/2" cubes. Set aside.
3. Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onions & saute over low heat for 10 minutes or until onions are translucent. Don't allow onions to burn.
4. Add flour to onions & butter and cook 4 - 5 minutes, stirring well until flour is absorbed. In a separate container, combine water, chicken base, potato flakes & seasonings.
5. Stir or whisk thoroughly to eliminate lumps. Add slowly to onion mixture, stirring constantly so no lumps form.
6. Increase to medium heat & continue cooking until the soup begins to gently simmer.
7. Add milk & cream, stirring until smooth & lightly thickened. Simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil. Soup should just simmer lightly. Add cubed baked potatoes & stir to combine.
8. Remove from heat & serve. Top each serving with grated cheddar cheese, sliced scallions & bacon pieces.
Hot and Spicy Orange Beef Szechwan Style
1 1/2 pounds flank steak,
Cut meat on the diagonal into strips 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick and 1 1/2 - 2 inches long.
Combine beef, 1 tablespoon sherry, egg white and 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch. In a separate bowl, combine bamboo shoots, orange zest, scallions and ginger. In a third bowl, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, water, 2 tablespoons sherry, broth, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil.
Heat peanut oil in skillet or wok to 350-375 degrees or until oil begins to smoke. Add meat mixture and chili flakes. Cook 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove meat with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
Heat skillet again; add vegetable mixture and cook 1-2 minutes. Return meat and stir for 1 minute. Add liquid mixture and cook 1-2 minutes. 4-6 servings
Serve with steamed rice
and punctuate the orange flavor by topping with little knots fashioned
from orange zest.
If you have comments or suggestions,
email us at
These country graphics courtesy of:
Webpage designed and maintained by Leilani Devries