1. Invest in some good non-stick cookware and bakeware.
2. Use lower heat and stir a lot when using no oil.
3. Eliminate (or decrease) added fat to food. Stop using (or limit): butter, cheese, cream, milk, margarine, oil, gravy, sour cream.
4. If a recipe must have the fat to work, try using half the fat.
5. Instead of frying your food, try alternatives: broiling, oven frying, steaming, poaching, water/stock sauteing, stir-frying and grilling.
6. Use gourmet ingredients to enhance flavor: Dijon mustard capers, flavored vinegars, herbs, hickory smoke, ginger, garlic, fruit juices, spices, sundried tomatoes, tamari, wines.
7. Use nonfat yogurt instead of sour cream.
8. Make nonfat yogurt cheese and use for dips and baking.
9. Use evaporated skim milk to make sauces.
10. Make flavored stocks (beef, chicken, fish, mushroom, and vegetables) then freeze in ice cube trays.
11. Flavored teas can be used for poaching chicken, fish, and vegetables.
12.Use 2 egg whites or 1/4 cup egg substitute instead of one whole egg.
13.Use a lot of fiber instead of fat for your dishes: add beans, grain, vegetables and pastas all of which are naturally low in fat.
14.Replace the meat in your chili or other casseroles with extra beans, tofu, or tempeh. Experiment with different varieties of beans.
15.Try using salsa or chutneys on baked potatoes, rice and salads.
16. Use low or non fat dressing on salads -- or try a splash or two of balsamic vinegar.
17.use a spray bottle for oils and dressings.
18.Substitute chopped water chestnuts for nuts in entrees.
19. When you drink milk, try 1% or skim.
20. Substitute jams and jellies for margarine or butter. Use reduced-fat mayonnaise for sandwiches, and use fat-free cream cheese or blended fat-free cottage cheese instead of regular cream cheese.21. Choose lean meats, such as fish and poultry.
22. Serve a vegetarian entree at least once a week.
23. Choose 5 fruits and/or vegetables daily (use for snacks or at mealtime).
24. Include pretzels, low-fat popcorn, low-fat crackers, baked chips frozen fruit bars and non-fat yogurt in your snack/dessert choices.
25. Be sure to check labels -- low fat doesn't always mean low calorie.26. Whenever possible, sit down and relax when eating. Take your time -- it will help you feel more satisfied.
27. Keep your food interesting. Vary the textures, tastes and colors on your table. Try adding some freshly snipped herbs to your dinner table for use as condiments.
28. Make your own white sauce using 2 tbsp reduced-fat margarine, 2 tbsp. flour, and 1 cup skim milk. Add fat-free cheese slices for a great cheese sauce.
29.Use cream style corn instead of oil in your cornbread recipes.
30. Experiment with fat-free products as substitutes for the regular type products in your recipes. Sometimes they turn out even better!
If you have comments or suggestions,
email us at
Webpage designed and maintained by Leilani Devries