Courtesy of Iara <IL918@aol.com>
1/4 Pound Chinese Long Beans -- Cut Into Two Inch Lengths
2 Medium Potatoes
14 Ounces Firm Tofu
Cooking Oil -- For Deep Frying
2 Tablespoons Tamarind Pulp
1 Cup Hot Water
5 Shallots; Walnut-Sized
2 Fresh Red Or Green
Jalapeno Chilies -- Seeded
1 Teaspoon Dried Shrimp Paste; Blachan
1/4 Cup Cold Water
2 Tablespoons Cooking Oil
2 Tablespoons Packed Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Roasted Peanuts -- Finely Chopped
3 Hard-Cooked Eggs -- Shelled And Cut Into Quarters
1/4 Cup Bean Sprouts
1 Small Red Bell Pepper -- Cut Into Diamond-Shaped Pieces
1/4 English Cucumber -- Quartered Lenghtwise And Cut Crosswise Into Half-Inch Pieces
1. Cook beans in boiling water until tender-crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Boil potatoes until tender, then cut into 3/4 inch cubes.
2. Drain tofu; cut into 3/4 inch cubes. Place between paper towels and gently press out excess water.
3. In a wok, heat oil for deep-frying to 350*. Add tofu and deep-fry, turning once, until golden on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
4. Soak tamarind pulp in hot water for 15 minutes. Mash pulp and separate fibers and seeds with a fork. Pour into a strainer over a bowl; force the pulp through and press out liquid. Scrape off pulp on underside of strainer. Discard seeds and fibers.
5. In a blender, process shallots, chilies, dried shrimp paste, and cold water until smooth.
1.Place a wide frying pan over medium-low heat until hot. Add oil, swirling to coat sides. Add shallot mixture and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Add brown sugar, soy sauce, and tamarind water; simmer for 2 minutes. Add peanuts and simmer for 2 minutes longer. Pour dressing into bowl and let cool.
2. Arrange beans, potatoes, tofu, eggs, bean sprouts, bell pepper, and cucumber in separate piles on a serving platter. Serve dressing alongside.
If you have comments or suggestions,
email us at
Webpage designed and maintained by Leilani Devries